Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Dearest Dad



As always, there is a theme to my paintings.  Here is a story behind this particular painting.  I have been working on it long and hard and it is finally completed.  This one is dedicated to my brother and I will be shipping it to him in the next few days.

 My brother asked me to create this painting for him.  The site for this endeavor is in my bro's back yard.  In 2004, my brother married the love of his life.  They were wedded under the gazebo that my brother spent so much time creating and perfecting.  He is like his father and his Uncle Joe, in that he loves landscaping, creating and planting flowers, etc. 

The night before the wedding, I had a dream.  In that dream, our Dad was back in the flesh sitting on the bench under the gazebo......looking quite young and very happy/pleased with the surroundings.  I told my brother about it the next day............we both felt that Dad was there for the ceremony and that Dad was very proud to be there.  I know he was telling my bro that he was also very proud of his son. 

My brother asked me to paint a portrait of my dream.  This activity has brought so much emotion...........sadness, joy, love, etc.

Dad is no longer with us physcially..........he died in 1986.  I adored my Dad.  He was the best!  I  hope I have captured the essence of my father in this painting............for my very special brother.  Sweetness, for sure.

5 comments:

  1. That must have brought sadness and joy. I'm sure this painting will be cherished for years to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes..........both. It took me forever to get Dad's face right. I sure miss him. He and your father would have really liked each other. Thanks Paula!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie L. JohnsonApril 9, 2010 at 1:44 PM

    Hi Linda,

    This is Diane's daughter, your cousin Val...
    This is a most beautiful painting and that picture of Uncle Jack is amazing!!! It made me remember him so.. Mom told me about this site and I'm so glad that she did. It looks like Aunt Tootie and Mary were not the only artists in the family...

    Love to you and your family,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments, Val! I am glad this brought you good memories of dad. He was very special. I always admired Aunt Mary and cousin Tootie's artwork. Mom and Dad started me with art lessons when I was 9 years old. So glad they did! Hope you and yours are well. Love, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I guess I did find your blog once before...but obviously I lost those particular brain sells...!! :-)

    ReplyDelete