Thursday, October 26, 2017

My parents gave me the gift of art lessons when I was 9 years old.  I rode the city bus by myself every Saturday morning from one side of the town to the other in the spring of 1958.  Huge endeavor for a 9-year old!  I took lessons from the sweetest "old" lady (she was probably in her 50's then) and when I look at this painting, I can still smell the oil paints in her studio.  This was a wondrous time for me and I am forever grateful that my parents gave me such a gift.  We didn't have a lot of money, but they felt I was worth it.  This was my first attempt at painting the human body.  I also painted portraits, still life, and landscapes under my teacher's tutelage.  But this was my favorite.  The only other art instruction I had was in HS.  I never pursued a career in it, though I was offered a scholarship at the community college in my hometown.  That would mean another 4 years at an all girl's college and by then I had had enough of all-girl's schools.  Besides, I had my sights on a certain someone that I wanted to marry and start a family with.  Over the years, I have played with painting/drawing and I am glad I had the opportunity early in life to learn some basics.  Thank you my parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment