Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Above is a photo of a beautiful horse who belonged to a dear friend of my cousin............and though he was quite young, he had sadly passed away unexpectantly last winter.  My cousin wished to give her dear friend a gift and so commissioned me to create a portrait of "Ace".  I was quite humbled by the request and immediately agreed.   I have painted dogs and birds before, but had never painted a horse.  This endeavor became a huge challenge for me, going through 3 different canvases in 5 months.  But, I persevered with the loving support of my husband, cousin and local artist friend.  I learned so much throughout the process re: equine anatomy, patience, and most especially love of horses.  Especially this one!!!!  I had always kept my distance from horses, feeling overwhelmed by their huge presence.  During this process, I learned to identify with this amazing animal.  This particular guy exuded so much personality with the look in his eye(s) and the quirky lip.  He was egging me on the whole time.  "Bet you can't capture me!!  Hee Haw!!!"  That just spurred me on!!
While painting portraits, I believe it is important to copy the photo or life study as close as possible, in order to capture the persona.  This portrait has been delivered to the recipient and I am pleased to say that she is quite happy with it.  Her words to my cousin:  "Just WOW! It arrived yesterday, and I LOVE it!! Have you seen it? This horse was really a character, and she captured that well. His eye, his twisted lip, etc."
I love you Ace. I am so grateful for the opportunity to connect with you on this level.  May you rest in peace.  I am so grateful to my cousin for believing in my ability.  Grateful that her friend is happy with the portrait.  And so grateful that I could hopefully bring some bit of peace all the way around.  You were a gift to many, sweet guy!!  You touched so many of us in your short sweet life and I am grateful that I was a small part of it.

2 comments:

  1. Love your work, Linda. - Linda Lee Greene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Linda Lee! Means a lot to me! Thank you for commenting here.

    ReplyDelete